Selous Game Reserve
The Selous is the largest National Park in Africa. Four times the size of Serengeti - covering more than 5% of Tanzania's total area and larger than Switzerland, it possesses a diverse landscape from hot volcanic springs, sporadic lakes, channels from the Great Rhaha and Rufiji rivers.
Selous Game Reserve Facts
- Size & Location: 55 000km² in the south-east running in almost five regions of Tanzania
- When to visit the park: June - November (Game Viewing) January - April (Bird Watching, rainy)
- Climate: Tropical climate, hot and humid all year round. Temperature ranges from 13°C - 40°C
- Rainfall: Ranges from 750mm in the east to 1250mm in the west
- Altitude: Varies from 100m (northeast) to 1 200m (southwest) above sea level
Information On Selous Game Reserve
One of the more historic protected areas in Tanzania, the Selous Game Reserve was named after Frederick Courteney Selous, a British explorer and hunter in East Africa who was killed in World War 1 in the Beho region of the reserve. The area has remained one of the untouched gems of Tanzania's national parks and game reserves.
There are large populations of elephant in the park. Approximately 70 % (60 000) of Tanzania's elephants are found in this reserve. Other well-known animals include the hippo (40 000 inhabit the river systems), depleted numbers of the black rhino, large herds of buffalo (over 160 000), the area's famous wild dogs and 5 000 lions patrol the Reserve.
Also found here are Nyasaland gnu, brindled gnu, hartebeest, Greater Kudu, sable antelope, eland, reedbuck, bushbuck, waterbuck, warthog, zebras, giraffe, wildebeest, leopard, cheetah are rare. There are over 350 species of birds including African snipe, Bateleur eagle, Crested lark, Green-headed Oriole, Knob-billed duck, herons, kingfishers, geese and Southern Ground hornbill. Reptiles such as crocodiles and various snakes and lizards are also found.
Main Attractions Of Selous Game Reserve
- Largest National park in Africa (4 times size of Serengeti)
- Large game concentrations including huge herds of buffalo, elephant and large wild dog population
- UNESCO World Heritage Site
Where is Selous Game Reserve located?
and now for the location of this very remote and wild game reserve; southern and central Tanzania is our best shot at this, it is best if one looks at the map link below for a more accurate description of where Selous is located.
HERE WeGo Maps, best shows the exact location as well as surrounding wildlife conservation areas; HERE WeGo Maps - Selous Game Reserve
Also, have a look at the map at the bottoms of this page in which we showcase all of the Selous Lodges on a map.
Needless to say, a flying safari option is best when visiting, while road transfers into the park will just simply take too long.