Sanbona Gondwana Lodge Highlights
- Three-hour drive from Cape Town
- 3500-year-old San rock art
- A 'Big 5' game reserve
- Completely child-friendly
- Kids on safari activities
- Dining in the outdoor boma
- games drives and walks
Gondwana Lodge Information
- Lodge type; Safari Lodge
- Location; Sanbona Wildlife Reserve
- Lodge size; 12 Luxury Rooms
- Recommended stay; 3-5 nights
Sanbona Gondwana Lodge with her views of the Anysberg Mountains is the perfect sanctuary for families, friends and small groups, and especially for those with a young family in tow.
A spacious and luxurious thatched offering in the middle of the 54,000ha Sanbona Wildlife Reserve with amazing views out over the surrounding Karoo, a lodge that offers guests a bush authenticity just three-hours drive from Cape Town.
Sanbona Wildlife Reserve consists of 58 000 hectares within the Little Karoo of South Africa, offering visitors a vastly diverse and sensitive landscape that will astound all.
In terms of wildlife, Sanbona offers up plains game (gemsbok, springbok, hartebeest, eland, kudu and zebra), the Big 5 as well as cheetah and the endangered Riverine Rabbit. Other rare species that can be spotted on game drives include; jackal, caracal, duiker, aardwolf, aardvark, brown hyena, grey rhebok, steenbok, klipspringer and grysbok.
Why did you mention the Riverine Rabbit alongside the Big 5, cheetah we hear you ask. Well, the Riverine Rabbit is currently the 13th most endangered mammal in the world and a healthy population of these mammals indicates that the reserve itself is very well run in terms of conservation.
For those interested in birding, the reserve offers a truly spectacular list of over 200 species.
Rooms and Suites
In total, twelve luxury rooms are available, with each room being able to accommodate a maximum of 2x adults and 1x child. For those families with more than one child, there is the option of interconnecting rooms - there are 4x of these room types available.
All rooms can be configured as either King or Twin bedded options, depending on your preferences.
- Air conditioning
- Underfloor heating
- Private mini-bar
- Private deck or balcony
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Electronic safe
- International dial telephone
- En-suite bathroom with shower, free-standing bath and twin basins
Cuisine and Wine
Authentics South Africa and karoo cuisine await for all that visit Sanbona Gondwana Lodge, no matter the time of day. A highlight of ones stay is a dinner out under the African stars in the open-air boma.
Special kids menus and meals are available should the little ones prefer something a little more child friendly :)
The central guest area at Gondwana Lodge consists of luxuriously appointed lounge areas with open fireplace, set off to the side is a TV area that offers guests satellite channels (great for sport and news channels). WiFi is available to all guests in and around the main guest area of the lodge, the signal is strongest here.
A swimming pool is available to all guests, a shallow end is perfect for the little ones to play in, parents are of course responsible for their children when swimming.
There is a small boutique gift shop for those last-minute curios and gifts.
When staying at the Sanbona Wildlife Reserve, one has the pick of numerous activities and these include;
- Flora & Fauna
- Game Drives
- Kids on Safari
- Nature Walks
- Relaxation Retreats
- Rock Art
- Rock Formations & Features
- Sanbona Boat Safari
The most popular of course being game drives and walking safaris, but if one is staying for 3 nights or more, we would highly suggest that one partake in the boat and birding safari options, and of course, weather permitting, stargazing is absolutely stunning in this part of South Africa.
Please note that some activities are at an additional cost.
Gondwana Lodge is that perfect destination for those with a young family in tow. This is the only "child-friendly" accommodation options within the reserve.
Indoor Activities for Children of offer;
- Arts and crafts
- Puzzles of varying sizes and difficulties covering a broad age range
- Documentary DVD’s on various conservation topics and animals as well as animated movies
- Entertaining and educational children’s books
- A selection of fun board games
Outdoor Activities for Children;
- Interpretive trail (A safe journey through the gardens of Gondwana, learning about animals, plants and insects and more).
- Sanbona Activity Book (An educational, fun and interactive book for when the children are on safari, a book that encourages questioning of the guide about all the surrounding nature).
Outdoor and indoor play area for children is also available.
Please Note: Children younger than 4 years are not permitted on game drives at all.
Spa and Wellness
Dwyka Tented Lodge, Gondwana Lodge and Tilney Manor all offer private 'spa and massage treatment' rooms where one can be pampered in the lap of luxury.
World-class treatments and holistic modalities to balance and energise your being are on offer, all of which can be booked on arrival at the above lodges.
Rates from R10 110.00 per person
- Sanbona Gondwana Family Lodge Rates
- Per person per night sharing
- Rates are in South African Rands (ZAR)
- *Rates may vary according to season
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- All non-alcoholic beverages
- Two game drives and guided walks
- Game drive beverages
- Tourism levy
- 15% VAT
- All other beverages
- All Transfers
- All Flights
- Additional activities
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel insurance