Best Zambia Tourist Attractions
With the motto "Discover the real Africa", Zambia is untamed Africa at it's finest with some of the largest and remote national parks on the planet, never mind in Africa. Zambia is all about wildlife, birding and extraordinary safari experiences ranging from game drives to walking safaris all the way through to canoeing and boating safaris.
At Uyaphi.com, we absolutely love the country and what she has to offer, with the best attractions ranging from the Basunga plains and the Kafue River, walking the banks of the Luangwa River to sunset cruises of the Zambezi River all the way through to the yearly Kasanka Bat migration. Zambia, simply put, is amazing and, in all honesty, should be on everyone's bucket list when travelling to Africa.
Below we feature the most popular and top attractions the country has to offer, which are equal to the Serengeti, Kruger National Park and the Okavango Delta.
The question has to be asked: why not Zambia for your African safari?
Top Tourist Attractions In Zambia
- Mosi Oa Tunya National ParkMosi Oa Tunya National Park, Zambia's smallest national park (66 square kilometres in total), awaits all that visit this side of the Zambezi River. What makes the national park of interest is that within her boundaries lies the mighty Zambezi, the amazing Victoria falls and the adventure-filled Batoka Gorge.
- Kafue National ParkThe Kafue National Park is the largest national park in Zambia, the second-largest in Africa, and one of the largest in the world, the Kafue National Park covers an area of 22 400 km² and was proclaimed a National Park in 1950 by the legendary Norman Carr.
- Lower Zambezi National ParkLower Zambezi National Park, one of Africa's most beautiful national parks, with the mighty Zambezi River, large flood plains and the Zambezi Valley Escarpment all on centre stage. A smallish park that offers excellent wildlife and birdlife sightings and experiences. One of Africa's best.
- South Luangwa National ParkSouth Luangwa National Park, one of the greatest wildlife sanctuaries found on the African continent. South Luangwa is the official home of the 'walking safari', a must-do safari activity in which one gets to walk the banks of the Luangwa River in search of the valley's fabled wildlife and birdlife.
- Kasanka National ParkKasanka National Park, one of Zambia's smaller and less visited national parks offers up a wide range of ecosystems, including rivers, lakes, wetlands, forests, lagoons, meadows and dambos. The main attraction of Kasanka is the annual bat migration between November and December.
Devil's Pool Victoria Falls
The Devil's Pool is a natural pool at the edge of Victoria Falls. It is created by the Zambezi River and it's really cool.
You can swim right up to the edge and you will be close enough that you will feel like you are going to plunge over as well as dizzy from all of the water around you.
What To Do In LusakaContinuing our series of African cities, we look at the capital of Zambia, Lusaka. Over the last ten years and mainly due to economic expansion, Lusaka has exploded in terms of what it offers the modern traveller.
Tongabezi Lodge Victoria Falls ExpereinceIf you live in Africa, a weekend getaway in the bush on one of Africa's greatest rivers is something that is part of your culture, essentially something you can relate to. If you live elsewhere in the developed world, it is one of the most exotic things you can imagine. Welcome to the magical world of Tongabezi.
Best Safari Destinations In ZambiaPeople tend to forget about Zambia when organising their safari. They think in terms of their more famous regional neighbours: Botswana, South Africa and Kenya with their iconic destinations of the Okavango Delta, the Kruger and the Masai Mara. Even the Victoria Falls is seen purely as a Zimbabwean venue.
Celebrating David Livingstone In ZambiaDavid Livingstone was born in Blantyre, Scotland 200 years ago. He remains the most celebrated of all Victorian explorers, equally known for his humanity and humanitarian work as for his feats of exceptional exploration.
Best Victoria Falls Relaxed ActivitiesThe Victoria Falls area has gained a reputation over the past two decades as one of the adventure centres of the world. From bungee jumping to white water rafting, there will be some activity for the adrenalin junkie. However, this is not what the Vic Falls was traditionally about.
Best Victoria Falls Adventure ActivitiesThe Victoria Falls is not only celebrated as one of the worlds most beautiful sights but it also is known as the adventure capital of Africa. With Victoria Falls being on most safari itineraries it is good to know what to do and see when in town, whether you are staying on the Zambian or on the Zimbabwean side of the Falls.
Canoeing On The Upper ZambeziYour correspondent has been travelling and going on safari in Africa since the early 1980s. I have lost count of the many, majestic sunsets, of the unique wildlife moments accidentally captured by a camera and of the multitude of happy days with friends in remote places.