Mosi Oa Tunya National Park
Most certainly and without question, Zambia's smallest national park (66 square kilometres in total) awaits all that visit this side of the Zambezi River. What makes the national park of interest is that within her boundaries lies the mighty Zambezi, the amazing Victoria falls and the adventure-filled Batoka Gorge.
- Size: 66 square kilometres
- Location: Upstream of Victoria Falls
- Accommodation: Livingstone Lodges
Where is Mosi Oa Tunya National Park located?
The national park runs from the Batoka Gorge and continues for 12km above Victoria Falls along the Zambezi River (on the Zambian side of the river).
Information On Mosi Oa Tunya National Park
With the park being so small, it offers the ideal opportunity for relaxing game drives alongside the river banks, grasslands, riverine forests and mopane woodlands.
Wildlife includes elephants, giraffe, buffalo, waterbuck, impala, wildebeest, zebra, bushbuck, warthogs, monkeys, baboons, hippos and crocodiles. And let us not forget the rather spectacular birdlife, with birding being best in the summer months.
Of interest, Mosi Oa Tunya is one of the very few destinations in the whole of Zambia, where one can spot and photograph white rhino.
There are no predators in the park, so photographing the surrounding scenery outside of a vehicle is possible; however, just because elephants and hippos are not predators does not mean that they will not seriously injure you or take your life. Please do not get close to these animals without a professional guide to lead the way.
Best Time to Visit Mosi Oa Tunya National Park
Year-round with the following notes;
- Summer months (December to February); Hot, very hot with afternoon thunderstorms, best for birding and high water adventure activities. Victoria Falls and the Zambezi River start heading towards peak flow.
- Autumn months (March to May); slightly cooler with a little less rain, Victoria Falls and the Zambezi River are at peak flow in April (March, April and May are best for viewing the falls at full flow).
- Winter months (June to August); Almost perfect weather conditions, warm during the day and cool at night. Best time for low water Zambezi adventure activities (i.e. white water rafting).
- Spring months (September to November); Temperatures start to climb, with November being rather unpleasant. Victoria Falls and the Zambezi River are at their lowest flow points during this time.
Main Attractions Of Mosi Oa Tunya National Park
- Victoria Falls
- Zambezi River
- Batoka Gorge
- Adventure activities
- Self-drive game drives
- Protected white rhino sightings