Mateya Safari Lodge is one of those lodges that just blew us away. We knew that we were going somewhere special but just did not realise how extraordinary the experience would be. The Lodge reflects that old world Safari experience - it is indeed more old school than new school regarding decor and feel. Located in the northern area of the Madikwe Game Reserve (which is Malaria free) this Lodge is ideally positioned regarding not only location but also the wildlife that is on its doorstep.
Pricing: I certainly had the feeling that Mateya Safari Lodge is slightly under-priced. Let me be honest; this is one luxury Lodge that can compete easily with the very best out there. Three meals a day, as well as local alcoholic beverages, are included in the price, as well as game drives and bush walks. When one looks at the Lodge, its atmosphere, the artwork, the luxurious rooms, it's surroundings, the air of all-round luxuriousness - one has to agree that the price is an absolute bargain.
The bedrooms: There are five perfectly designed and furnished suites all within a three-minute walk of the main Lodge. The main bedroom area offers a super luxurious bed with mosquito net, a small library with two reading chairs overlooking the Veranda and swimming pool. The bathroom is a place to behold, the central marble bath can comfortably accommodate two adults, and there is a "his and her" grooming area as well as a separate toilet area. There are two shower areas, one inside and one outside – the inside shower large enough for two adults with two shower heads and loads of space. The Veranda area overlooks the Madikwe Game Reserve and offers a shaded area with deck chairs as well as a swimming pool that is large enough to escape the relenting heat.
The Central Lodge area: This area is large, atmospheric and offers spectacular views of the surrounding scenic areas and waterhole. There are two lounge areas within the main building where one is surrounded by artwork and ornaments from all over Africa. There is also a bar where one can enjoy that famous gin and tonic or a renowned glass of South African wine. There is also a wine cellar that boasts 8,000 bottles of wine from all around the world, as well as brandy, cognac and single malt whiskey (as well as cigars). The wine cellar itself is a sight to behold!
Swimming pool: There is no main swimming pool at Mateya Safari Lodge, all pools are located at the individual suites.
Game drives: Professional guides and trackers escort you on your game drives while searching for Africa’s wildlife. The game viewing vehicle is superbly comfortable with space for all your camera gear and belongings. Only four people at a time are allowed on these game drive vehicles, so space is not a problem.
Finally; Mateya Safari Lodge is certainly one of the top lodges in South Africa without a question of doubt. From the superbly designed rooms, the main Lodge and its tentative staff, to the wonderful and exquisite artwork that adorns almost every nook and cranny, this is a Lodge that can easily be called home for a few days. Mateya Safari Lodge gets a definite and well-deserved “highly recommended” from us at Uyaphi.com.
Mateya Safari Lodge Review By Uyaphi.com
- Africa's Ultimate Bucket ListIt has become very fashionable to compile a list of things to see and do before one meets their maker. Here at Uyaphi.com we already have our "Ultimate Bucket List" of things in Africa that we have to do and see.
- Africa's Most Luxurious LodgesIt might come as a surprise to many that some of the most luxurious and desired accommodation establishments on earth are found right here in Africa. This is our showcase of the most luxurious options that we have on offer.
- Kruger Family Friendly LodgesThese are our favourite lodges and camps in and around the Kruger Park that offer family-friendly facilities and activities. Most lodges say that they take kids but there is only a handful that have the facilities to keep them busy, these lodges offer daily activities, kids safari options and baby sittings options.
- Romantic Kruger Park LodgesWhen it comes to romance these are our best options. Lodges that do not take children, lodges that offer privacy, large rooms with lots of space and large baths and outdoor showers. This is what romance in the African bushveld should be. Perfect for honeymooners, those in love or those wanting to fall in love.
- Remote Lodges in AfricaAs always one will find an intrepid soul who has taken the plunge and built a lodge or camp in what can only be described as the "Middle of Nowhere". This page is dedicated to those who are wanting to experience isolation like no other.
- Best Spas in the KrugerLife on safari is not always about game drives and walks 24/7, there should always be a bit of relaxation time, and this is where a Spa comes into play. Take a few hours off to indulge in a tranquil Spa treatment at one of these excellent lodges. All of these lodges offer in-house facilities and a broad range of treatments.