Driving west towards Cape Town you will come across Elephant Hide Lodge overlooking the Knysna lagoon. A much smaller and more straightforward affair than Kurland, it also conveys a similar sense of well-being. It contains seven Afro-chic cottages each surrounded by an indigenous garden of fynbos with panoramic views of the lagoon.
Each cottage is well dug into the mountainside hence the "Hide," the Elephant part alludes to the rare Knysna elephant.
This is not your typical blue and white pastel, seaside guesthouse. It is essentially a bush lodge, a retreat to enjoy the pleasures of Knysna from boating and hiking to beach and restaurants. From the pool deck, you can enjoy sundowners with sweeping views of the lagoon. The breakfasts are hearty, served by as always in South Africa, smiling and helpful staff.
There are many choices along the Garden Route of course, but for me, Elephant Hide Guest Lodge stands out.
Elephant Hide Guest Lodge Review
- Best Baths in AfricaYou can never be as relaxed as you are as in a bath. Now image that bath having one fantastic view out over the plains of Africa with wildlife and birdlife passing you by. That is what this page is all about, simply "The best Baths in Africa".
- Best Spas in the KrugerLife on safari is not always about game drives and walks 24/7, there should always be a bit of relaxation time, and this is where a Spa comes into play. Take a few hours off to indulge in a tranquil Spa treatment at one of these excellent lodges. All of these lodges offer in-house facilities and a broad range of treatments.
- Africa's Ultimate Bucket ListIt has become very fashionable to compile a list of things to see and do before one meets their maker. Here at Uyaphi.com we already have our "Ultimate Bucket List" of things in Africa that we have to do and see.
- Romantic Kruger Park LodgesWhen it comes to romance these are our best options. Lodges that do not take children, lodges that offer privacy, large rooms with lots of space and large baths and outdoor showers. This is what romance in the African bushveld should be. Perfect for honeymooners, those in love or those wanting to fall in love.
- Star Beds in AfricaOne of the newer and more exciting options safari lodges and camps throughout Africa are starting to offer is what is called a "Star Bed". Essentially a luxurious platform in the wilds overlooking a vantage point and open to the stars.
- Kruger Family Friendly LodgesThese are our favourite lodges and camps in and around the Kruger Park that offer family-friendly facilities and activities. Most lodges say that they take kids but there is only a handful that have the facilities to keep them busy, these lodges offer daily activities, kids safari options and baby sittings options.