- Private plunge pools
- That outdoor shower
- Views from one's bed
- The waterhole
- The food
- The staff
- The game drives
- One of our best lodges
- Lodge type; Luxury Safari Lodge
- Location; Madikwe Game Reserve
- Lodge size; 5 Thatched Villas
- Recommended stay; 3-5 nights
Owner run and managed, Jamala Madikwe provides a personal bush encounter, in which personalized service along with attention to fine detail is definitely the cornerstones of each and every waking moment.
This Luxury Lodge effectively brings together colonial and African styles and eccentricity within an enchanting marriage of opposites.
Jamala Madikwe is located within the breathtaking 75 000 hectares "Malaria Free" and "Big 5" Madikwe Game Reserve, Jamala Madikwe is the perfect destination for that quintessential safari experience.
The pure unadulterated wilds of this area are as awe-inspiring as is this exceptional lodge - designed from a perfect palette of rich woods, raw stone and soft muted tones.
We have visited Jamala, click here to see our thoughts and photographs on the lodge; Jamala Madikwe Photo Gallery
Five luxury villas are spaced far enough apart to ensure maximum privacy for guests with each villa exuding colonial charm in decor and furnishing.
All villas offer air-conditioning, lounge area, fireplace, walk in dressing room, outside deck and small rim-flow plunge pool.
The en-suite bathrooms offer up a large bathtub (for two adults) as well as an indoor and outdoor shower. The outdoor shower is stunning and offers excellent views of the waterhole.
Chef Nico creates exquisite dishes for visitors who would like to dine within luxurious surrounds around the long solid wood dining table in the central guest area, underneath the stars next to an open fire or perhaps in the seclusion of your private villa.
Chef Nico has released a cookbook called "Safaris and Spices", we highly recommend getting a copy. The book is amazing.
On arrival one is met by a welcome drink and a central thatched guest area, this is where your safari starts. Walking through the lounge and dining area that is furnished with a distinctive and elegant flair one gets your first glimpse of that famed Jamala waterhole.
The term "sofa safari" refers to a lodge that one does not have to leave in order to see wildlife and this is Jamala Madikwe to a tee.Sit back in comfortable lounge suites with beer (or wine) in hand and the wildlife comes to you.
- Lounge and library with fireplace
- Gourmet dining experiences: Boma and Star deck
- Complimentary WiFi access
- "Sofa Safari" overlooking our private waterhole
- Curio Shop
- Jamala Madikwe watchtower overlooking the Savannah plains and waterhole
- Morning game drives
- Evening game drives
- Game viewing from the Jamala Madikwe deck and watchtower
New(ish) to Jamala is the in-house spa and is open daily between 8 am and 5 pm.
- Full body detox
- Full body massage including aromatherapy, Swedish, deep tissue and hot stone massage
- treatments; Manicure / Pedicure / Facials / Waxing
- A masculine experience, for him
- Hot stone massage and mineral clay
- Detox sea salt scrub and deep tissue massage
For those need a little exercise, the gym offers treadmill, elliptical, exercise bike, free weights, and TRX training.
Rates from R9 835.00 pp
- Per person per night sharing (pp)
- Rates are in South African Rands
- *Rates may vary according to season
- Complimentary welcome drinks
- All meals
- Selected local house wines, spirits, tea’s and coffees
- Early morning and evening game drives
- All transfers to and from the landing strip
- All premium rated wines, spirits and imported champagnes
- Madikwe Game Reserve entry fees
- Madikwe Daily Conservation fees
- Transfers to and from Madikwe Game Reserve
- Telephonic and electronic communications
- All curio shop purchases
- All spa treatments