A review of one of our favourite lodges not only in the Madikwe but the whole of South Africa. Why and how (well you will have to read for more thoughts and opinions), but in a nutshell - magnificent wildlife, great food, great rooms and most importantly fantastic service.
Pricing; Jamala is correctly priced for what is on offer. The price includes all meals as well as to game drives per day.
The bedrooms; Jamala Madikwe Safari Lodge offers five spectacularly spacious villas with exceptional thought having gone into layout and furnishings; each villa offers up spectacular vistas of the surrounding African Bush. There is a lounge area with comfortable lounge suite as well as a fireplace for those cold winter nights. The bedroom offers up a large comfortable bed with wraparound mosquito nets, as well as almost 180° views over the surrounding Bush that is teeming with wildlife. The bathroom is very well laid out; they are his and hers basins, a large bath big enough for two adults again with views over the surrounding Bush. There is an indoor and outdoor shower, with outdoor shower possibly being one of the best in the industry. In my humble opinion, there is probably a no better way of waking up in the morning and having a shower while a herd of elephants walk past.
The main Lodge area; this is an area that one will have to search high and low to find better, in terms of layout and furnishings. There is a library area with exceptionally comfortable lounge suites with enough books to keep you busy for a month. There are two dining areas one being inside the main Lodge area of other is a Boma area open to the African Bush and African sky. The main viewing deck is without a doubt what makes this Lodge; this deck overlooks a waterhole where one can view pretty much all African wildlife found within the game reserve. From herds of elephants to leopard sightings to hyenas, zebras, giraffes, buffalo all the way through to lions, if one is fortunate African wild dogs can also be seen. All meals are superbly cooked and offered my head chef Nico, from breakfasts to branches to lunches and dinners, eating at Jamala Madikwe Safari Lodge is a true pleasure.
Swimming pool; there is no main swimming pool at Jamala Madikwe Safari Lodge, but all Safari villas have their private plunge pools.
Game drives; game drives are as good as at any other Lodge with the game reserve. Professional guides and trackers are on hand to show you the very best wildlife and photographic opportunities of a lifetime.
Finally; Jamala Madikwe Safari Lodge is without a doubt one of the best lodges within the reserve, in fact, one does not even need to go on a game drive we have to do is sit on the deck and wait for the animals to come to you. The great thing about just sitting on the deck at Jamala Madikwe Safari Lodge watching all the animals is also having a glass of bubbly in hand while Africa puts on her show.
Your hosts Rodney and Nico are superb and attentive; nothing is too much for them. When one leaves Jamala Madikwe Safari Lodge one feels like you are leaving part of your family behind. The great thing about Jamala Madikwe Safari Lodge is that it is only 3 1/2 hours drive from Johannesburg, through some is pretty spectacular scenery.
Jamala Madikwe Review by Uyaphi.com
- Kruger Family Friendly LodgesThese are our favourite lodges and camps in and around the Kruger Park that offer family-friendly facilities and activities. Most lodges say that they take kids but there is only a handful that have the facilities to keep them busy, these lodges offer daily activities, kids safari options and baby sittings options.
- Romantic Kruger Park LodgesWhen it comes to romance these are our best options. Lodges that do not take children, lodges that offer privacy, large rooms with lots of space and large baths and outdoor showers. This is what romance in the African bushveld should be. Perfect for honeymooners, those in love or those wanting to fall in love.
- Best Baths in AfricaYou can never be as relaxed as you are as in a bath. Now image that bath having one fantastic view out over the plains of Africa with wildlife and birdlife passing you by. That is what this page is all about, simply "The best Baths in Africa".
- Africa's Ultimate Bucket ListIt has become very fashionable to compile a list of things to see and do before one meets their maker. Here at Uyaphi.com we already have our "Ultimate Bucket List" of things in Africa that we have to do and see.
- Best Spas in the KrugerLife on safari is not always about game drives and walks 24/7, there should always be a bit of relaxation time, and this is where a Spa comes into play. Take a few hours off to indulge in a tranquil Spa treatment at one of these excellent lodges. All of these lodges offer in-house facilities and a broad range of treatments.
- Africa's Most Luxurious LodgesIt might come as a surprise to many that some of the most luxurious and desired accommodation establishments on earth are found right here in Africa. This is our showcase of the most luxurious options that we have on offer.