Tinga Lodge Highlights
- Located in the Kruger National Park
- Private Plunge Pools
- Stunning location
- Wildlife and birdlife
- Close to Skukuza airport
- High Tea
Lion Sands Tinga Lodge Information
- Lodge type; Luxury Safari Lodge
- Location; Kruger National Park
- Lodge size; 9 Thatch Suites
- Recommended stay; 2-5 nights
Lion Sands Tinga Lodge exudes the atmosphere of a classic safari lodge.
The thatched cathedral-like entrance leads through to the colonial comfort of the lounge, which opens onto the massive wooden deck overlooking the Sabie River.
Tinga Lodge is built around an enormous Jackalberry tree which is reputed to be over 200 years old; the main deck offers magnificent views of the Sabie River, and regular sightings of the wildlife, including members of the Big Five.
Lion Sands Tinga Lodge on the banks of the Sabie River, inside the excellent wildlife viewing part of the Kruger National Park only 5 minutes from Skukuza airport.
The Sabie River area offers the greatest density of leopards within Africa, as well as in addition to one of the highest predator densities. The lodge being in the Kruger National Park overlooks the Sabi Sand Game Reserve.
Rooms and Suites
The suites at Tinga Lodge are well-spaced, and each one is positioned to ensure the best possible view of the Sabie River and its surroundings.
Each luxuriously appointed suite is air-conditioned, with en-suite bathroom and a double shower.
The suites also have a private lounge, heated plunge pool, satellite television, DVD player, in-room mini bar, electronic safe, underfloor heating, heated towel rails.
Cuisine and Wine
The Tinga culinary experience is enhanced by the tranquil settings in which the meals are served.
Breakfast and lunch are enjoyed on the decks of the lodges, under the shade of the 200-year-old Jackalberry tree. The gently flowing Sabie river and the soporific call of the emerald-spotted dove provide the perfect accompaniment to the range of delicacies prepared by the Tinga chefs.J
Evening meals are often serenaded by the some of the local wildlife - one can almost detect a wistful tone in the call of the hyena and jackal as the tantalising aroma of a bush barbeque drifts through the bush. One detects a distinctive scolding note in the roar of the lion, as the fare his lionesses has provided does not compare favourably with the meal being enjoyed in the traditional bomas at Tinga and Narina. There is a note of envy from the hippos grazing on the riverside vegetation as a romantic dinner for two is enjoyed by guests on the deck of their suite.
Facilities at Tinga Legends Lodge include a library stocked with an array of African literature, a wine cellar stocked with premier South African and international wines, a boma, bar and wellness treatment room.
There is also a large eternity swimming pool situated next to the wooden deck allowing unobstructed views of the Sabie River.
Safaris are conducted in open vehicles, in the early morning and late afternoon. Drives are usually around 3 hours in duration depending on game viewing and weather conditions.
Early morning drives usually stop for refreshments in the middle of the drive. Afternoon drives stop for sundowners at a scenic spot (where possible) before proceeding with a night drive.
The Tinga concession has 5000 hectares of exclusive traversing. This includes 35 km of river frontage along the Sabie and Sand rivers. In addition to this, Tinga vehicles are permitted to traverse the entire Kruger network. To ensure the guest comfort, there are only six guests allocated to a vehicle.
- Morning and evening game drives in open safari vehicles
- Bush Walks
- Bird watching
- Bush breakfasts
- Bush dinners
- River walks
- Safari lunches
- Boma dinners
- Wellness treatments
- Local village experiences
Children 10 years and older are welcome. Childrens' activities, meals, family suites and babysitting options are of course available.
Spa and Wellness
A range of body, skin and grooming treatments are on offer; best enjoyed in the quiet hours between game drives.
Rates from R14 240.00 pp
- Per person per night sharing (pp)
- Rates are in South African Rands
- *Rates may vary according to season
- Luxurious accommodation in a suite with lounge and private plunge pool
- Three meals per day
- Afternoon High Tea
- Well stocked mini-bar in room
- Beverages and selected snacks (ALL soft drinks; teas/ coffees and a selection of beers, spirits & house wines)
- Two game drives per day with FGASA qualified Field Guide and expert tracker
- Guided bush walks
- Safari Sundowners, including beverages & canapés
- Hippo Tour
- Wildlife lectures
- Bush breakfasts, picnic lunches and our spectacular bush dinners under the African stars
- Henna Pre-School visit (excluding weekends, school & public holidays)
- Skukuza Airport transfers
- Premium brand beers, spirits, cellar wines & champagnes
- Cigars & cigarettes
- All flights and transfers (other than Skukuza Airport transfers)
- Telephone calls
- OneLife MORE safari boutique purchases
- Spa treatments & products
- Kruger National Park entrance & conservation fees
- Private Safari Vehicles
- Specialist activities such as a night at one of Lion Sands' Treehouses
- Helicopter rides