Rates from US$ 1249.00 per person sharing
Per person per night sharing
Rates are in US Dollars (US$)
*Rates may vary according to season
- Lodge type; Safari Camp
- Location; Central Makgadikgadi Pans
- Lodge size; 6 safari tents
- Recommended stay; 3-7 nights
San Camp offers the Earth, stripped naked. And, such restraint holds its own charms.
San Camp and Jack's Camp are unique in that they are the only permanent camps to offer a chance to explore and understand the Kalahari.
The concession adjoins the Makgadikgadi National Park with its endless vistas of rolling golden grasslands. Desert palms line the horizon. Through the tent flaps, the Makgadikgadi Pans run over the horizon like the mother of all Norfolk beaches.
And this place could not be more different from everywhere. The Botswana Desert Camp is the Stewart Granger Memorial Collection of 1940s safari tents, with no running water nor electricity.
Six pale khaki canvas tents twinned with a dramatic location, combine to create an oasis of civilisation in what can be the harshest of stark environments.
The result: San is one of the most romantic camps in Africa!
There are comfortable beds, cotton sheets, paraffin lamps, excellent food and personal service. Bathrooms are en-suite with bucket showers and flushing loos.
Venturing far into the centre of the Makgadikgadi, on 4wd quad bikes, we can explore remote archaeological sites, periodically discovering never-before-documented fossil beds of extinct giant zebra and hippo.
The fact that you can travel across the pans at great speed and still arrive nowhere only underlines the pan's immensity. There is nothing out here. Nothing. No outcrops, no features, no grass, no trees, no sound but the crunch of your boots in the crust.
The Kalahari desert is its own universe.
It is the only place where guests are virtually guaranteed to see the rare and elusive brown hyaena and be able to walk through the Kalahari with a gang of habituated but, wild meerkats (suricates)!
- Get unbelievably up close and personal with the family of meerkats
- Walk with Zu/'hoasi Bushmen Trackers
- Game drives to experience unique desert wildlife, such as the elusive and rare brown hyaena
- A visit to Chapman's Baobab
- Lie out on the pans at night and watch the planetarium show unfold overhead with horizon-to-horizon stars
- Quad biking
- Experience the spectacular migration of zebra and wildebeest