The Victoria Falls area has gained a reputation over the past two decades as one of the adventure centres of the world. From bungee jumping to white water rafting, there will be some activity for the adrenalin junkie. However, this is not what the Vic Falls was traditionally about. People came here to admire the Falls in all of their beauty, take long walks, drink sundowners on the terrace of the Victoria Falls Hotel and to be more in tune and relaxed with nature. You can do this still and here a few ideas which will help:
- Sunset Cruises Zambezi- When in Africa do as the Africans do; a sunset cruise is part and parcel of life on the Zambezi River. There is honestly nothing better than sipping a gin and tonic or a cold Zambezi lager while watching the sun set against the canopy of bush on the river bank.
- Canoe Safari- A relaxing canoe safari taken at a leisurely pace on the upper Zambezi River, birdlife singing at every corner with the occasional hippo call topping off an exciting day. These professionally guided safaris are designed for all levels of fitness.
- Elephant Rides- Getting on the back of an African elephant and seeing the African bush from a heightened perspective is one of the iconic activities offered within the area. Not the cheapest of activities but it is a once in a lifetime adventure not to be forgotten.
- Chobe Day Trip- 80 kilometres from Victoria Falls in Botswana, you will find one of Africa's most famous national parks, the Chobe National Park. If this is not included in your itinerary, it is well worth a visit to see not only the Chobe River but the huge herds of elephants that are synonymous with this wildlife area.
- Horse Riding Safari- Horse-riding safaris are available on both sides of the River, normally half day tours are offered but full day tours are available on request. A natural way to view the scenery and the wildlife.
- Game Drives- Game drives in the Victoria Falls area are available; on the Zambian side you will be able to view rhinos in their natural habitat.
We have mentioned some of the more popular activities in and around Victoria Falls and Livingstone; there are also numerous golf courses for the sporting types as well as numerous restaurants. You could also spend two or three days doing nothing at all but be a lotus eater, gazing and relaxing by one of the most spectacular scenic wonders in the world.
The Victoria Falls should not be left off any safari itinerary. Please consult with our consultants for any special requests for relaxed activities in Victoria Falls.
Victoria Falls Relaxed Activities