- Almost guaranteed leopard sightings
- 4 guests per safari vehicle
- Exclusivity and privacy
- One of the best lodges in Africa
- Wildlife is superb
- Private plunge pools
- River views from all suites
Rattrays on MalaMala Information
- Lodge type; Safari Lodge
- Location; Sabi Sand Reserve
- Lodge size; 8 suites
- Recommended stay; 3-7 nights
That classic "into Africa" safari experience and approach for a discerning traveller that wants and needs to experience Africa authentically.
Rattray's on MalaMala is about luxury, but not over the top luxury; everything is very understated in a classic way.
With the primary focus being safaris, wildlife and exclusivity, Rattray's strives to have a maximum of only four guests per safari vehicle.
Rattray's on MalaMala has been a firm favourite of ours and our guests for well over 15 years.
MalaMala Game Reserve has been in existence since 1927 and offers visitors the most exciting wildlife experiences in Africa. This Private reserve comprising of 33 000 acres shares an unfenced 19km border with the famous Kruger National Park.
When it comes to wildlife sightings, it is a given that 96% of the time clients get to view the "Big 5" during a stay with the reserve. There are not a lot of reserves in the whole of Africa that can come up with similar stats - trust us on that one.
It is correct in saying that MalaMala is not part of the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, but an entirely free-standing entity squeezed in between the two giants of the safari world.
Rooms and Suites
The Rattray's on MalaMala experience is one of exclusivity, with each of the eight luxurious suites spaced far enough apart to ensure complete and utter privacy.
All eight suites offer up king-sized beds, private verandah, air-conditioned comfort, "His" and "Hers" en-suite bathroom facilities, indoor and outdoor showers, private plunge pools as well as indoor and outdoor dining areas for those romantic nights or special occasions.
To be honest, there is not much more that one could ask for.
There is an option of having satellite television and a DVD player in your suite; this is on a request only basis.
Cuisine and Wine
Breakfast and lunch are served in the air-conditioned dining room or on the adjoining deck whilst the traditional reed boma under a magnificent Jackalberry tree is the ultimate outdoor evening venue.
A fantastic wine list is on offer as well as a good selection of South African beers.
- Beautiful library with rare books and works of art
- An African themed dining room
- A historic bar featuring unique photographs
- Large wooden safari deck with great vistas and where meals are served
- Large infinity pool with magnificent views
- A safari boutiques with quality clothing, jewellery and artefacts
- Mobile phone coverage (MTN)
- Complimentary Wi-Fi connectivity
Activities in and around the MalaMala game Reserve include;
- Exhilarating bush drives (morning and afternoon)
- Night drives
- Guided bush walks
- Dedicated photographic vehicles
This is the MalaMala Game Reserve at it's best.
Rattray's On MalaMala is an adult orientated lodge and therefore only welcome children above the age of 16 years.
Spa and Wellness
Massage and treatments services are available to guest on request. There is a small fully equipped gym onsite with all the necessary equipment to keep one slim and trim.
Rates from R27 000.00 per person
- Per person per night sharing (pp)
- Rates are in South African Rands
- *Rates may vary according to season
- Air-conditioned, en-suite accommodation
- All meals and snacks
- Game drives in open 4-wheel drive safari vehicles conducted by an experienced ranger
- Nature walks
- Transfers to and from the MalaMala Game Reserve airstrip
- Telecommunication costs
- Airport transfers (except for MalaMala airstrip to/from the MalaMala camps)
- Transfers to/ from any other camps (excluding MalaMala Game Reserve camps)
- Sabi Sand Wildtuin entrance fee if travelling by road
- US$ 12.50 per person per day Community Levy
Private Game Lodges Near Kruger National Park
A trip to Greater Kruger National Park in South Africa is an unparalleled experience, allowing visitors to observe some of the world's most spectacular wildlife in their natural habitat.
With access to exclusive areas of the park, luxurious accommodations, expert guides and personalised service, these private game lodges provide guests with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to explore and enjoy the African wilderness.
Singita Sweni Lodge Review
Are you looking to immerse yourself in a once-in-a-lifetime African safari experience? Look no further than the iconic Singita Sweni Lodge.
As one of South Africa’s premier safari lodges, Singita Sweni offers stunningly luxurious accommodations and an abundance of exciting wildlife sightings that will create memories to last a lifetime.
Greater Kruger Family Safari
"How many more sleeps?” this became our son's wake-up call as the days neared his first ‘safari’ to the Greater Kruger National Park.
James and I had decided to combine a bit of family time with a quick update of the 'family friendly safari lodges' in the greater Kruger area.
My 4 Day Kruger Adventure
My 4-Day Kruger Adventure was one of the highlights of my travelling; having not visited the area for such a long time, the Kruger National Park was stunning.
Leaving Cape Town and flying north to OR Tambo and then a 5-hour drive to the Kruger from where we stayed in parks board accommodation.