- Lodge type; Safari Camp
- Location; Kichwa Tembo private conservancy
- Lodge size; 40 Tented Suites
- Recommended stay; 3-7 nights
- A quintessential classic safari experience
- Private concession
- Game drives and walking options
- Spectacular wildlife in season
- Spa and wellness treatments
- Family-Friendly accommodation
One of Kenya's and the Masaai Mara's best-loved safari camps offers guests a quintessential classic safari experience. The camp offers sweeping views out across the surrounding plains from the central guest and the 8x Superior View tented suites, while the other accommodation options offer views of the Sabaringo River and forest scapes.
Positioned on the Masai Mara National Reserve's west border, in the Mara Triangle, AndBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp is the perfect camp for those looking for a romantic or honeymoon safari, as well as for those with families and of course those who are seeking out the very best in wildlife.
Being located within a private concession allows for night drives and nature walks that would normally not be allowed if one was staying inside of the Masai Mara National Reserve.
All in all, a fantastic option for single travellers, couples, families and small groups.
Forty safari tented suites offering that perfect blend of classic safari chic and contemporary style are available for guests staying at Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp. All suites offer up viewing decks with daybeds, large bedrooms and en-suite bathrooms facilities with flushing toilets, hot water, and indoor showers.
The Forty safari tented suites consist of the following options:
- 12x Classic Tents are nestled in a forest near the Saparingo River (the more budget options)
- 20x Superior Tents are large in size than the classic options and are also located in the forest.
- 8x Superior View Tents offer views out of the surrounding plains (the more expensive options)
Three family suites ('Superior Tents' with interleading walkways) are on offer for families with children of all ages.
A large interactive kitchen and a spacious dining room play host to an amazing and delicious variety of cuisine, no matter whether it be breakfast, lunch, high tea, or dinner. Meals are packed with fresh ingredients from the in-house veggie garden, a short tour to the veggie garden can be arranged at any time.
A menu for children is available.
Most dietary requests can be catered for with advance notice; please advise before arrival.
At Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp, the central guest area is a thatched and tented affair that blends in with the surrounding forest. Lounges with fireplaces, viewing decks, a small library, a stunning bar area, an indoor dining area and a small conference room are all available.
A swimming pool overlooks the surrounding plains, a shaded dining area and a large firepit await.
Yes, Wi-Fi is available throughout the central guest area.
Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp is surrounded by some of the best 'Big-5', and plains game wildlife found anywhere in Africa. Morning and afternoon game drives within the private concession as led by professional and skilled guides and trackers for part and parcel of one's safari experience. An Africa Foundation community programme visit is available for those interested in the Masaai culture and wildlife.
- Activities at an additional charge:
- Night drives within the concession
- Hot air ballooning is available nearby (a must-do activity)
- Visit a traditional Maasai boma, including interaction with the Maasai
Private safari vehicles are available for hire should one require a more personalised safari experience, perfect for honeymooners or those with children in tow.
Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp offers families the opportunity of joining the WILDchild programme (additional cost), a programme designed with children of all ages in mind in which fun and education are joined together in an interactive experience.
A few of the activities available for the little one's to participate in:
- Nature walk around the camp
- Maasai spear-throwing competition
- Fire making the Maasai way
- Play soccer with the camp's team
- Visit a nearby Maasai village and school
- Prepare a Ranger’s omelette breakfast on a game drive
- Create colourful items and learn beadwork
Don't hesitate to get in touch with us for the "child policy" on safari activities. Childminding services are available on request.
A massage and treatment tent is available for singles or couples alike; views from the wellness tent are nothing short of outstanding. Relax with one of the best views in Kenya, all the while being pampered by one of Kichwa Tembo's highly trained therapists.
Wellness and massage products used are by 'Healing Earth', a truly premium African brand that offers natural, organic products, therapies and spa concepts to discerning clients worldwide.
From US$ 450.00 pp
Per person per night sharing
Rates are in US Dollar
*Rates may vary according to season
Rates form part of a Kenya Safari itinerary
- Three meals daily
- Soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers, teas and coffees and refreshments on game drives
- Safaris activities included
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Transfers to and from the lodge airstrip
- A complimentary pair of Swarovski Optik binoculars per room for use during your stay
- All flights
- Travel insurance
- Transfers not mentioned
- Telephone calls
- Safari shop purchases
- All items of a personal nature
- Champagne, cognacs, fine wines, premium brand spirits and cigars
- Additional/ optional safari activities
- Park fees
- Administration fee