Rates from US$ 738.00 pp
Per person per night sharing
Rates are in US Dollars (US$)
*Rates may vary according to season
- Lodge type; Safari Camp
- Location; Moremi Game Reserve
- Lodge size; 10 safari tents
- Recommended stay; 3-7 nights
Xigera (pronounced Keejera) is a luxury tented camp in the Moremi Game Reserve and is situated in the heart of the Okavango Delta.
Xigera Camp has something for everyone in an area where there are no other Moremi camps. Permanent water all year round allows one to enjoy an unparalleled variety of activities including foot safaris, mokoro trips, game drives and powerboat outings in total privacy.
Access to Xigera is by light aircraft only.
Watch the sunset and the birds gliding home to roost from a motorboat on the Xigera Lagoon. Observe the wildlife and unique Delta scenery from the comfort of a Land Rover or, for the adventurous, track animals on foot. Or simply take in the beautiful sunrise from your comfortable bed while sipping your morning tea or coffee.
Xigera Camp consists of ten luxuriously furnished tented rooms - each with en-suite facilities and an outdoor shower.
Raised on wooden platforms and walkways, each tent offers superb views of the seasonal Okavango Delta floodplains and the lagoon.
The feeling of living in the midst of a riverine forest is one of the features of Xigera Camp.
The camp is nestled in a magnificent riverine forest, Xigera camp consists of luxuriously furnished tented rooms with en-suite facilities and an outdoor shower. Each room is raised off the ground on a wooden deck offering a superb view of the seasonal floodplain and waterhole. Meals and evening drinks are enjoyed under the thatch of the raised lounge, pub and dining area overlooking a permanently flowing channel. A traditional African boma offers alternative dining under the African stars. Wooden walkways winding through the forest connect the rooms to the main living area. For those hot days, there is a small plunge pool in which to cool off.
- Situated on large island
- Entrance is by footbridge over river
- Permanently flowing river in front of Xigera
- "Tropical" and "jungle" feel
- Dining room & pub under thatch
- Outdoor bar/campfire area
- Curio shop
- Plunge pool at Xigera
- Tents are connected to the main communal areas by wooden walkways
A feature unique to Xigera is the wooden footbridge connecting Xigera Island to the island next to it. Guests are often treated to close-up views of lion, hyena or leopard padding across the bridge as they move between islands. The camp "newspaper" (a sand pit built into the bridge to capture paw prints) is "read" each morning and provides information on unseen nightly visitors to Xigera.
A paradise for avid birdwatchers, Xigera is home to the Pel's Fishing Owl, African Skimmer, Slaty Egret, Wattled Crane, Lesser Jacana and a host of eagles, vultures, raptors and kingfishers. It also boasts the highest density of the rare and elusive sitatunga antelope found anywhere in the Okavango Delta.
When water levels permit, game drives are an attraction. During drier years, drives are available throughout the year, but if there has been a very high flood, drives take place only from late September to April.
- Summer 40% Game drives, 60% Water activities
- Winter 20% Game drives, 80% Water activities (while the emphasis at Xigera is on water activities, game drives are offered all year round). Good multi-activity camp
- - No night drives until the Moremi Wildlife Reserve rules change
- - Game drives via 2 x 10 seater open Land Rovers each accommodating a maximum of seven guests, allowing all guests an outside seat
- - Walking safaris on request
- - Water game viewing via mekoro and by foot (eight mekoros with each seating two guests)
- - Power boating seasonally available depending on water levels (1 x 8 seater boat)
- Game drives
- Water game viewing via mokoro
- Power boating