- Game drives
- Water game viewing via mokoro
- Power boating
- Lodge type; Safari Camp
- Location; Moremi Game Reserve
- Lodge size; 12 safari tents
- Recommended stay; 3-7 nights
As the custodians of one of Botswana's very first safari camps, the owners of Xakanaxa Camp (pronounced Ka-ka-na-ka) have gone to extraordinary lengths to preserve its original African bush camp character while providing guests with every comfort.
The stylish main buildings extend into the Khwai River and are set on raised platforms to maximise the views over the surrounding lagoons and islands.
Xakanaxa, constructed of local timber, reed and thatch they comprise of an elegant lounge containing a small but comprehensive library, dining room, expansive sundeck, plunge pool and sala with day bed as well as a fire-deck set under giant Jackalberry trees.
This luxurious Moremi Safari Camp accommodates only 24 guests in twelve classic safari tents on raised platforms set on the banks of the Khwai River, each with a private viewing deck overlooking the Xakanaxa Lagoon.
Each tented suit is tastefully furnished with twin or double beds and en-suite facilities with shower, hand basin and ablution facilities. A water sprinkler system aids cooling in the midday heat.
Daily activities at Xakanaxa follow a rhythmic pattern in harmony with that of the nature that surrounds us - we enjoy a light breakfast of coffee, tea, fruit juices, cereals, muffins and fresh fruit just before dawn and then set off on extensive safari drives, boat or mokoro outings.
Upon our return to Xakanaxa three or 4 hours later its time for a full breakfast followed by lunch or especially in the winter months, these are combined into a scrumptious brunch. A siesta is followed by high tea before we set off again on a safari activity that returns to Xakanaxa about half an hour after sunset.
A chance to freshen up is followed by pre-dinner cocktails and snacks, dinner and coffee and liqueurs on the fire-deck.
The reception lounge at this Moremi Safari Camp boasts a curio shop and facilities are provided for charging videos, cameras and batteries. Xakanaxa Camp operates on generator power, but at night all lighting is supplied by gas and paraffin lanterns, giving Xakanaxa an authentic African ambience.
- Game drives in open Land Rovers. (Four 10 seater Land Rovers are available. However only 6/8 guests are accomodated per vehicle)
- Water game viewing in mokoros in conjunction with powerboat exploration of the Okavango. This activity is of a 30-minute duration and is done in conjunction with a powerboat exploration of the Okavango. (Four mokoro each seating two guests)
- Power boating available year round (Three x 8-seater boats)
Children aged six years and older are most welcome with suitable accommodation options, children friendly menus and importantly a whole host of safari activities to participate in when staying at Xakanaxa Camp.
Rates from US$ 579.00 pp
Per person per night sharing
Rates are in US Dollars (US$)
*Rates may vary according to season
- Scheduled activities
- Laundry service
- All meals
- Refreshments, local spirits and wines
- National park fees
- Government levies, taxes and 12% VAT
- Local and International flights
- Travel insurance
- Premium branded drinks and alcohol
- Items of a personal nature
- Any item not mentioned