Lodge And Activity Highlights
- Planet Baobab has the funkiest bar in Africa
- Children are welcome
- Game drives in the Ntwetwe Pan
- Battery charging facilities
- Quad bike on the salt pans safari options
- Local Bushman village tour
- Sit with Meerkats
- The largest swimming pool in the Kalahari
- Activities Planet Baobab
General Lodge Information
- Lodge type; Budget Camp
- Location; Makgadikgadi Pans Area
- Lodge size; 18 thatched Huts
- Recommended stay; 2-5 nights
The Quirkiest Lodge On The Planet Set Amongst A Forest Of Baobab Trees Not Far From The Makgadikgadi Salt Pans
Planet Baobab welcomes you to the "Baobab Capital of the World", where the average age of each tree is more than 4000 years; yip, you read that right, 4000 years old.
It is amongst these colossal baobabs that one finds the World famous Planet Baobab Camp. A quirky space that one will fall in love with close to the amazing Makgadikgadi Pans and all that she offers and not forgetting the desert wildlife that surrounds them.
Game drives, safari walks, quad biking, sleeping out under the stars, meerkats watching and the summer migration of zebra and wildebeest are all on offer.
Side note; The Makgadikgadi Salt Pans are the size of Switzerland, just to offer some perspective as to what one can experience here.
Rooms and Suites
Eighteen thatched huts at Planet Baobab are arranged in clusters to simulate local Botswana villages, all under or near massive Baobab trees. The decor is vibrant with patchwork quilts and a variety of eclectic trinkets. All huts offer up either twin or double bedding configurations, all with en-suite bathroom facilities.
- Eight Bakalanga huts - en-suite, twin beds and double beds available
- Seven Baobab huts - en-suite, twin beds and double beds available
- Three Bakalanga Family huts
- Camping sites
Cuisine and Wine
A large dining and bar area decorated with cow-hide chairs and wine-bottle chandeliers awaits guests when staying at Planet Baobab.
A la carte menus are comprised of mouth-watering dishes, cold beers and cold drinks, as well as a large wine selection; all combine for an experience that will not cost the earth.
Planet Baobab offers up what must surely be the largest swimming pool in the Kalahari is on offer for all guests to escape the heat of the Kalahari Desert days; sun-loungers, outdoor fire pit and braai areas are available to take advantage of.
As a bonus, WiFi is available, albeit not the quickest.
No safari activities are included in the price at Planet Baobab; below is a list of activities from which one may pick and choose depending on what one is after.
- Game drives in the Ntwetwe Pan
- Get up close and personal with local Kalahari meerkats
- Tour a local village and experience Batswana culture
- Baobab Bushwalks with knowledgeable guides
- Visit Nxai Pan for great game viewing and the famous Baines baobabs
- Quad bike across the never-ending Makgadikgadi Pans before sleeping out under the stars in a magical fly camp
- In the summer months (after the summer rains) at Planet Baobab, experience the spectacular migration of zebra and wildebeest (the second largest migration of mammals on the continent)
Planet Baobab is most certainly child and family-friendly. Special family accommodation types and numerous activities for kids of all ages, the swimming pool and meerkat watching are highlights.
Planet Baobab is a quirky lodge set amongst a forest of baobab trees not far from the Makgadikgadi Pans in Botswana. Here, guests can enjoy game drives, safari walks, quad biking, sleeping out under the stars and meerkat watching.
With its vibrant decor and affordable prices, Planet Baobab is perfect for those looking for an unconventional African safari experience. Families are especially welcome, with special family accommodation and numerous activities for kids of all ages.
So if you're looking for an out-of-the-ordinary safari experience, be sure to add Planet Baobab to your list!
Rates from US$ 150.00 per person
Planet Baobab Rates
Per person per night sharing
Rates are in US Dollars (US$)
*Rates may vary according to season
- Overnight in a Bakalanga Hut
- Cooked Breakfast
- Three Course Dinner
- Baobab Bush Walk
- Sundowner Drink
- All flights
- Transfer to/ from Planet Baobab Camp
- Premium brand beverages
- Tips and gratuities
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel Insurance