Renowned as one of Africa's last wildernesses, Damaraland is one of Namibia's most scenic areas. Running inland alongside the Skeleton Coast, the main attractions are the mountains of Spitzkoppe and Brandberg (Namibia's highest mountain and home to the famous "White Lady"), the ancient Bushmen rock art at Twyfelfontein, the petrified forest and various strange and spectacular rock formations including the organ pipes including the Torra Conservancy and Palmwag.
- Size: approximately 1 600km²
- When to visit the park: Year-round
- Rainfall: 30mm to 100mm varying per annum
- Altitude: 1300m - 1500m, Koningstein Peak (Brandberg) at 2 573m above sea level
- Location: Western central Namibia
- Accommodation: Damaraland Lodges
Information On Damaraland
Damaraland presents endless vistas across stark plains, ancient valleys, and soaring peaks. The region is home to thriving populations of desert wildlife, including the famed 'desert elephants and black rhinos.
Twyfelfontein (meaning 'Doubtful Fountain') is home to a small spring that has provided animals with water for thousands of years. The dubious nature of the spring gave the place its name. Activities centre around drives, nature walks, visits to the famous Bushmen engravings at Twyfelfontein and climbing the Brandberg and Spitzkoppe mountains.
Wildlife sighted here displays the amazing adaptation to climate and terrain. With a whole lot of luck and a few prayers here and there, one can view black rhino, desert elephant, gemsbok, lion, springbok, desert-dwelling giraffe, and mountain zebra. One visits this region for the remoteness and scenery; any wildlife sighted after that is an absolute bonus.
The prehistoric Welwitschia, the oldest tree in existence, inhabits these parts.
Where is Damaraland located?
Damaraland is located in Namibia's central west area, between the Brandberg Mountain, the small town of Sesfontein and the Skeleton Coast.
Have a look at the following Google Map for the approximate location of Damaraland; Google Maps - Damaraland
Best Time to Visit Damaraland?
Damaraland is a year-round destination to visit when travelling through Namibia. The region is very hot in summer and cool to mild in winter, but we would suggest that the cooler winter months are the best for travel here, summers are hot, and that heat does take it out of one.
Main Attractions Of Damaraland
- Twyfelfontein with thousands of Bushman engravings
- The Brandberg, Namibia's highest mountain, home to the famous "White Lady" Bushman Painting
- The Petrified Forest, which is millions of years old
- Spectacular desert scenery
- Desert rhino's and elephants
- Complete remoteness of the area is outstanding
- Torra Conservancy