- Guided snorkelling Safari
- Spend the day at Paradise Island
- Sunset Dhow Cruise
- Scuba diving
- Dhow sailing
- Traditional Village and Local Communities
- Private Beach Dinner
- Lodge type; Lodge
- Location; Bazaruto Archipelago
- Lodge size; 14 villas
- Recommended stay; 3-7 nights
Imagine an unspoilt island within a National Park, deserted beaches of pure white sand, sparkling turquoise seas crisscrossed by local dhows plying their trade, swaying palms, sunny days and star-studded nights, and you have Azura Benguerra Lodge.
This Benguerra Island Lodge is the country's first luxury 'eco' boutique retreat. Built entirely by hand by the local community and operated in partnership with them, it has just 14 villas, each with their own infinity pool and designed for both pampering and barefoot escapism.
Handbuilt villas blend modern chic with all that is traditional in Mozambique. The creature comforts you would expect from a luxury boutique resort are there, set off by locally sourced wooden beams and traditional artwork beneath a thatched jekka roof.
Each is just footsteps from the beach, yet designed with seclusion in mind. Nestled amidst indigenous gardens, we have created your own sanctuary. A haven of rest and relaxation, where you can feel at one with the environment. A fusion of indoor and outdoor space where time becomes your own.
3 Luxury Beach Villas, furnished in contemporary style and just steps from the beach. Each one offering 100m2 under roof, 450m2 private area, Beachfront location and views, Private plunge pool and Air-conditioning and fans.
11 Infinity Beach Villas that are furnished in contemporary style and look out over a stunning infinity pool towards the beach and sea beyond. They have the best of our beachfront locations. Each one offering 110m2 under roof, 650m2 private area, Beachfront location and views, Private 5 metre infinity pool, Large private undercover deck with daybed and dining facilities and Air-conditioning and fans.
A top chef combines local ingredients with contemporary style and flair, with an emphasis on fresh fish and seafood. Azura always offers a choice of dishes, and our chef will happily try to accommodate any personal requests that you may have.
Breakfast is to order in the restaurant, including a special of the day or your choice of full English. Lunch may be a picnic if you are out enjoying an activity, or informal dining at the Star Bar, or at the Gekko Deck with your feet in the sand.
A dinner is always a special event, eaten on the beach by candlelight beneath the stars whenever we can. There's a choice of a main course, with the emphasis on local seafood, and we offer snacks in the Star Bar before dinner including fresh sushi when our fishermen have been lucky in their catch. Our 7-course tasting menu showcasing the chef's favourite creations is a highlight of the week, along with our 'Fruits de Mer' platter and Traditional Dhow Barbeque.
Public areas at Azura Benguerra Lodge are open to the beach and sea with amazing vistas across calm blue waters to the Indian Ocean beyond. Furnished with cool contemporary cotton and the textures of Africa, they are open to the breezes, in harmony with nature. Comfortable, simple, spacious and chic.
Wander in and out as you please. Find a quiet corner to read a book or a place to share the stories of your day with others. Sip champagne on the beach with your feet in the sand, or snack on fresh sushi in the Star Bar, which showcases the magnificence of the skies above you.
A kaleidoscope of colour greets you above and below the ocean. Magnificent reefs for diving and snorkelling, home to the turtles that nest on the island's outer shores. Migrating whales, dolphins, and the elusive and protected dugong ply these waters, along with marlin, sailfish and tuna to tempt the sports fishermen. On land, towering sand dunes give way to indigenous bush abundant with local flora and fauna, an interesting variety of birdlife, as well as the odd crocodile or two at the lakes. The island's local people make for fascinating cultural encounters, and the starry night sky is quite magnificent to behold.
Guests staying more than 3 nights will receive a free landrover island drive, sunset dhow cruise, and 15-minute refresher massage on arrival (subject to availability). Azura Benguerra Lodge can also arrange lots of special treats for honeymooners!
Children of all ages are welcome at Azura Benguerra and children 0 – 5 years stay free of charge.
Rates on Request
Rates form part of Mozambique Safari itinerary
Per person per night sharing
Rates are in US Dollar
*Rates may vary according to season
- Rates are per person per night and include accommodation in sea-facing villas, all meals, including main beach dinners, local beers & spirits, selection of house wines, soft drinks, teas & coffees, bottled water and a cocktail of the day
- Mozambican Butler/Host service, Wi-Fi access, and EVAC medical insurance
- Land Rover island drive, sunset dhow cruise, use of snorkelling equipment, kayaks and paddleboards, various honeymoon special treats, and various children activities
- Presidential Villa includes a private chef and private host.
- Transfers, airport taxes and Mozambican visa costs (visa must be obtained before travel if required)
- Premium spirits, cocktails, wines and champagnes. Spa treatments, laundry, personal items and staff gratuities
- Guided / specialist activities (day trips, deep-sea fishing, boat hire, reef snorkelling, island hopping, scuba diving & courses)
- Special private dining events & beach picnics. Villa Amizade private chef can be booked at US$ 150 per day
- Bazaruto National Park fee (approx. US$ 15 per person per stay) and optional Rainbow Fund contribution (US$ 10 per villa per night)
- Travel insurance (recommended), 17% government tax is charged on all extras locally, and visas (if required)
- Special event supplements: US$ 175 per adult (Christmas Eve & Christmas Day) / US$ 350 per adult (New Year’s Eve). Children 50%.