As we have previously mentioned in many articles, Malawi is a particular favourite of the Uyaphi team. Both by the friendliness and warmth of its people and by the diversity of its landscapes and fauna. On a recent trip to Malawi, we explored the southern corner of Lake Malawi, the last of the Great Rift Valley lakes. Tucked away in the Liwonde National Park which straddles the Shire River is Mvuu Lodge.
Mvuu means hippo in the local Tonga language and is suggestive of the camp's location. It comprises of eight fixed tents on decks each overlooking a different aspect of the river, with those eponymous hippos as a permanent feature. The lodge is run by the rather excellent Wilderness Safari company who enjoy a well-deserved reputation for low impact eco tourism with luxuriously simple accommodation. The camp is connected by raised walkways and beaten paths with a comfortable dining area, various lounges and a hidden swimming pool area. The game is free to roam in the camp with amusing Warthog as almost permanent fixtures (at least, I find their expressions and movement amusing.)
This camp enjoys the best of both worlds. You can watch the game on the water in canoes or larger boats or by more traditional game drives on land with the options of game walks or by mountain bike. The area enjoys the largest elephant herds in Malawi and is also the centre of a brave reintroduction programme for black rhino. You can go on a special rhino tracking walk which lasts about three hours which finishes with an always enjoyable bush breakfast or dinner. The rangers are determined to let the rhino re-establish a foothold in this territory and they will share their passion as well as their knowledge with you.
Mvuu is not a destination for first-time safari guests. There are no vast savannahs populated by huge migratory herds. You have to look a bit more here. But it is an unspoiled environment which makes up for the lack of game by the simplicity and beauty of its nature as well as the harmony between water and land. There are certain animal hotspots; it enjoys probably the best year round birding experience in southern Africa and enjoys large herds of sable, one of the most majestic of the antelope family.
This is a place for old Africa hands. Luxury in the simplicity of its decor, its buildings, its surroundings, its environment and a way of life it represents. It warms my heart that it exists and Africa is all the better for it.
Mvuu Lodge Malawi
- Kruger Family Friendly LodgesThese are our favourite lodges and camps in and around the Kruger Park that offer family-friendly facilities and activities. Most lodges say that they take kids but there is only a handful that have the facilities to keep them busy, these lodges offer daily activities, kids safari options and baby sittings options.
- Romantic Kruger Park LodgesWhen it comes to romance these are our best options. Lodges that do not take children, lodges that offer privacy, large rooms with lots of space and large baths and outdoor showers. This is what romance in the African bushveld should be. Perfect for honeymooners, those in love or those wanting to fall in love.
- Best Baths in AfricaYou can never be as relaxed as you are as in a bath. Now image that bath having one fantastic view out over the plains of Africa with wildlife and birdlife passing you by. That is what this page is all about, simply "The best Baths in Africa".
- Africa's Ultimate Bucket ListIt has become very fashionable to compile a list of things to see and do before one meets their maker. Here at Uyaphi.com we already have our "Ultimate Bucket List" of things in Africa that we have to do and see.
- Best Spas in the KrugerLife on safari is not always about game drives and walks 24/7, there should always be a bit of relaxation time, and this is where a Spa comes into play. Take a few hours off to indulge in a tranquil Spa treatment at one of these excellent lodges. All of these lodges offer in-house facilities and a broad range of treatments.
- Africa's Most Luxurious LodgesIt might come as a surprise to many that some of the most luxurious and desired accommodation establishments on earth are found right here in Africa. This is our showcase of the most luxurious options that we have on offer.