Some of the most beautiful game reserves in South Africa are located in Kwazulu Natal, within a few hours drive of the airport. Coupled with the Drakensberg Mountain range and the tropical Indian Ocean coast, you have a pretty impressive list of sights to see and experience. When it comes to Durban however, people have mostly avoided the city as of no particular interest for the family. Think again.
USkaka Marine World opened its doors in 2004 as part of a programme to revitalise the Durban beachfront. Behind the warm waters of south beach, packed with surfers and bathers, you will find a 16ha site with a marine park, restaurants, shopping precinct and water amusement world. This is no small park; it is the 5th largest aquarium in the world. The marine park is designed around an artificial shipwreck. It is quite realistic, and you have to check yourself from time to time about whether it is a real wreck or not. You descend into the wreck in which are built the observation tanks which contain over 10,000 marine animals with everything from black tip and ragged tooth sharks to sea horses and moray eels.
Everyone has a favourite area and having been there many times with my children, we have two "must go" sites. The first is the snorkel lagoon where you can swim with your mask and snorkel in an artificial lagoon. In the far recesses of this lagoon, there are sharks. We have been assured, however, that they are of a "harmless" variety and we live to tell our tale! It is a pretty fantastic feeling swimming with so many tropical fish species and is the perfect antidote for those parents whose children think an aquarium is boring.
Our second favourite area is a restaurant. Deep in the bowels of the ship is the Cargo Hold restaurant. The backdrop to the restaurant is a glass wall holding the shark tank. It is quite spectacular and worth coming just for this. With such a decor you would expect to have a more upmarket restaurant, and you would be right with some of the best seafood in Durban.
There are of course the obligatory dolphin and seal shows as well as penguin, shark and ray feeding at various times during the day. The water park is pretty good too with a variety of slides and pools integrated around the marine park. In essence, this is an enjoyable day out both for adults and for children of all ages so next time you are in Durban, don't forget uShaka!
uShaka Marine World Durban
- Best Baths in AfricaYou can never be as relaxed as you are as in a bath. Now image that bath having one fantastic view out over the plains of Africa with wildlife and birdlife passing you by. That is what this page is all about, simply "The best Baths in Africa".
- Best Spas in the KrugerLife on safari is not always about game drives and walks 24/7, there should always be a bit of relaxation time, and this is where a Spa comes into play. Take a few hours off to indulge in a tranquil Spa treatment at one of these excellent lodges. All of these lodges offer in-house facilities and a broad range of treatments.
- Africa's Ultimate Bucket ListIt has become very fashionable to compile a list of things to see and do before one meets their maker. Here at Uyaphi.com we already have our "Ultimate Bucket List" of things in Africa that we have to do and see.
- Romantic Kruger Park LodgesWhen it comes to romance these are our best options. Lodges that do not take children, lodges that offer privacy, large rooms with lots of space and large baths and outdoor showers. This is what romance in the African bushveld should be. Perfect for honeymooners, those in love or those wanting to fall in love.
- Star Beds in AfricaOne of the newer and more exciting options safari lodges and camps throughout Africa are starting to offer is what is called a "Star Bed". Essentially a luxurious platform in the wilds overlooking a vantage point and open to the stars.
- Kruger Family Friendly LodgesThese are our favourite lodges and camps in and around the Kruger Park that offer family-friendly facilities and activities. Most lodges say that they take kids but there is only a handful that have the facilities to keep them busy, these lodges offer daily activities, kids safari options and baby sittings options.