/ugandaThe capital of the pearl of Africa is booming. Like many other African cities, a burgeoning middle class enlarged by a stable Ugandan government and consistent economic growth over the last two decades has created a dynamic city. Every day, you can see new cranes on the city’s skyline building apartment blocks, hotels and offices. In this environment, dining options abound. I will add that most meals ought to be accompanied by cold Nile beer, one of the best commercial ales in the whole of Africa (found right here in little Uganda). In association with our friends at Wildplaces Uganda.
Here is our choice of the Top 5 restaurants in Kampala.
- Mediterraneo. 31 John Babiha (Acacia) Ave, Kampala. Conveniently next to the city centre, this is one of the best Italian restaurants in Kampala and good by most international standards. The décor is a mixture of Italian/East and North African design and lends itself perfectly to relaxed al fresco dining. Service is good and prices are fair for the quality but are rising.
- Khana-Khazana. 20 John Babiha (Acacia) Ave, Kampala. Down the road from Mediterraneo, you will find the best Indian restaurant in Kampala. Housed in a water feature adorned villa, the restaurant is noted for its excellent Moglai cooking. Probably the priciest of all the Indian restaurants in Kampala, but no better place to sink a cold Nile and eat a curry. Good service.
- Le Chateau. Ggaba Road, Nsambya, Kampala. Located in the Le Petit Village boutique hotel complex, the restaurant is set in a series of rustic thatched cottages. The Belgian owner prides himself on his national dishes with his beef fillet being the signature dish. However, service is variable and clients have complained of higher prices and smaller portions. An old favourite which needs a dose of fresh energy.
- Yujo. 4 Kyadondo Road, Nakasero Hill, Kampala. If you love sushi, this is the best place to dine in Kampala. The restaurant regularly tops the TripAdvisor ratings. Set in a large garden, the restaurant is warmly lit with several lanterns hanging over a prominent wooden Sushi bar, the feature of the restaurant. Imported salmon, tuna, lobster and scallops increase the price but it is well worth it in this very relaxing setting.
- IL Patio. Kisozi Close, Kyagwe Road, Kampala. Located inside the Mayfair Casino, Il Patio is one of the chicest restaurants in Kampala. If James Bond came to Uganda, this is where you would find him. Jousting with Mediterraneo as the best Italian, it is its setting which distinguishes it. If you want to impress or enjoy a more sophisticated evening, then look no further. Service and professionalism are first class and prices are commensurate with this quality.
See our selection of Uganda Safari options.
Top restaurants in Kampala