Malawi is one of the Uyaphi team’s favourite African destinations. Relaxed people, safe environment, unique safari destinations where you can be equally at home in bush or beach. The capital Lilongwe, essentially a 1960’s creation leaves much to be desired in terms of activities or things to do. Despite it being home to a large expatriate population of NGO and diplomatic staffers, there is not a great variety of night life or dining options. Yet, you may have to overnight in Lilongwe so here is our top 5 choice of restaurants:
Restaurants in Lilongwe
1. The Latitude restaurant at the Latitude 13 boutique hotel, 10 minutes drive from the CBD. A recent arrival to Lilongwe, this is probably the best fine dining experience in the capital. It also has the best wine list in the country. The design, like the hotel, is Afro-chic. Expect to pay about $25 a head without wine.
2. Bombay Palace restaurant at the City mall in Old Town. Regularly ranked as the number 1 restaurant in Lilongwe on Tripadvisor. Service is excellent and if you are an Indian food lover, this is an absolute must. Expect to pay about $15-20 per head.
3. Mamma Mia restaurant in the Old Town Mall. Probably the best Italian restaurant In Malawi and well frequented by the expat community. This is not high cuisine but the comfortable offering of pizzas and pastas. Expect to pay about $20 a head with a beer.
4. Buchannan’s Grill at the Four Seasons complex about 10 minutes from the city centre. This is essentially a steak house but the setting is in a lovely tropical garden where you can wander (there is a plant nursery within the complex). Expect to pay about $20 a head.
5. For something slightly different, go to the Kumbali Village restaurant. It is a recreation of a Chewa village, located about 25 minutes drive from town. It is more about the vibe than the food, the latter really offering easy, comfort food and some local Chewa dishes. At the weekends there are live bands and a choice of local curio shops made by locals on site. If you want to chill out and let children run about , this is the place. Expect to pay about $15 a head.