- Lodge type; Safari Lodge
- Location; Selous Game Reserve
- Lodge size; 8 thatched rooms
- Recommended stay; 3-7 nights
- Game Drives
- Walking safaris
Lying on the banks of the Rufiji River, Sand Rivers Camp in the Selous is an idyllic place from which to explore this untamed wilderness. The Rufiji River is the largest waterway in East Africa and the lifeline of the Selous Game Reserve and its many tributaries and lakes. The river provides a refreshing viewpoint from which to watch the wildlife going about its business.
The central building are of this Selous Wilderness Camp has been beautifully designed using local wood and stone. Outside the central mess area is the swimming pool, set into rocks at the river's edge and shaded by an ancient baobab.
All the stone and thatched rooms are open-fronted at Sand Rivers Camp, and raised up on the banks of the river, all with amazing views. There are three room options at Sand Rivers Camp:
- Standard cottages: There are five standard rooms which are open and airy, with en-suite bathrooms, flush toilets, powerful showers, and hot and cold running water.
- Suites (Tagalala & Kipalala): The two suites offer more private space; as well as a large bedroom and en-suite bathroom there is a lounge area, and small plunge pool set into the deck.
- The Rhino House: This is the new one-bedroom honeymoon cottage. It has a large bedroom, en-suite bathroom, lounge and open dining area for private meals. It also comes with its own 4WD vehicle and private guide to take you out on your own game drives as and when you wish.
There is an imposing mess and lounge area, and swimming pool set on the banks of the river, and the service and dining (both private and communal) is excellent.
The main mess and dining area is set close to the river, and is a generous space. It's grand yet cosy, the atmosphere is familiar, and the service at-your-whim.
It's not what you see, it's how you see it. In the Selous, game viewing takes on a very different, and exciting pace. Whether its game drives, walking safaris, fishing, boating, or a combination of all of these, it never disappoints, and there is always something thrilling to see.
The Rufiji River provides an utterly unique view of life in the Selous. Upstream from the lodge, the river meanders its way past sand islands and lush forests. You can often see game on the banks as you slowly drift past.
Children over the age of 8 years are welcome at Sand Rivers Camp.
Rates on Request
Rates form part of Tanzania Safari itinerary
Per person per night sharing
Rates are in US Dollar
*Rates may vary according to season